In recent months, I wrote a few articles that hinted that I was developing a webcam-related utility (here, here, here and here). About two weeks ago, I released it to my colleagues who liked it and found it useful. Now, after some improvements, I am ready for a release to a larger audience.
What is it?
CamProps is a free utility for quickly adjusting and managing the properties of webcams and other video capture devices.
Where can I get it?
You can download CamProps at https://www.roland-weigelt.de/camprops/
Why should I use it?
The picture quality of many webcams can be improved by manually tweaking properties like focus, exposure or gain. When doing so, you may run into a few issues, though:
- If you are in a room with changing lighting conditions, you have to adjust the settings each time you want to use the camera.
- Some third-party software may decide to reset the camera back to default.
- And some devices simply
forgetall settings after a reboot.
CamProps lets you
- quickly adjust camera properties,
- manage different sets of configurations, and
- restore the settings with a single click.
Which devices can I use?
CamProps works with all webcams and video capture devices that support opening the webcam driver property dialog (either the default provided by Windows or a specific dialog by the manufacturer's driver).
For instance, when you press the “” button for a Logitech C920 without the Logitech software installed, this will open the following dialog:
(This dialog may look different for other devices)
How do I start?
- Head to https://www.roland-weigelt.de/camprops/
- Download and install the program.
- Read the “How to…” section on setting up your first configuration, activating a configuration and backing up the automatically stored settings.